Sauerbruch Hutton is the architecture firm founded in Berlin by Matthias Sauerbruch and Louisa in 1989. Sauerbruch was born in Konstanz, Germany in 1955 and Hutton in Norwich, United Kingdom in 1957. They met while studying at London Architectural Association, where they have both taught from 1984 to 1990. Before setting up their practice, Hutton worked for the British brutalist Peter Smithson and Sauerbruch at OMA, Rem Koolhaas’s office in Rotterdam.
Their own firm works on architecture, urban planning, and interior design projects aimed at uniting function, high-quality design, and sustainability. The application of new technologies for energy-saving or natural ventilation are shown in the Photonic Centre and the Fire Station, both in Berlin, or in the Federal Environment Agency in Dessau. Sauerbruch Hutton’s recently completed the Brandhortst Museum in Munich.