TECNOPOLO – RESTORATION OF THE FORMER TOBACCO FACTORY

The structure of the former Manifattura Tabacchi of Bologna, built in the ‘50s with a design by Eng. Pier Luigi Nervi, will become the headquarters of the new “Tecnopolo”, a center of innovation and experimentation for industrial research and technology transfer.
Cities: BOLOGNA
Countries: ITALY
Categories: CULTURAL ARCHITECTURE
Work in Progress - Engineering: MILAN INGEGNERIA
Work in Progress - Progetto Architettonico: GMP ARCHITEKTEN
Beginning of Construction: 2012
It will host active laboratories in different areas: mechanics, materials, construction, life sciences, environment-energy, design, information and communication technologies. 
The redevelopment project of this large industrial area was the subject of an international competition that was awarded to the Hamburg firm GMP – Von Gerkan, Marg und Partner in 2012. 
The GMP project stands out for its respect of the architecture designed by Pier Luigi Nervi. The integrity of the most significant structures will be preserved, implementing the necessary adjustments for the new functional and technological needs. 
In rethinking destinations and accessibility, particular importance has been given to the creation of outdoor areas and greenery. 
The heart of the project is represented by both the chimney stack square and the maple-tree square, becoming public areas surrounded by the main “Tecnopolo” services leading in the four directions that form the district. 

Photo credits: Gmp Architekten
1838 Projects