Isola delle Rose [Rose Island], widely known as Sacca Sessola, is one of the largest islands (16 Ha) of the central Venetian Lagoon. The island was artificially created in 1870 south of the Giudecca island using landfill. It first served as a large depot, then replaced by gardens and green areas; Venice Pneumological Institute was later opened there. The island underwent a first restoration in 2000.
A refined recovery intervention, designed by architects Matteo Thun & Partners for the American hotel chain JW Marriott, will transform the island into a luxury resort with 206 rooms and suites, and a conference centre with spaces and rooms with various sizes and functions.
Surrounded by gardens and olive trees of great environmental value, the complex will have a spa, indoor, outdoor and suspended swimming pools, several restaurants and bars, a marina house on its private small harbour and a heliport.
The construction of a new water channel has also been planned in the western part of the island, together with the arrangement of green areas and the renovation of a small church.
The complex consists of several interdependent buildings with a total area of 32,000 square meters, comprising new and renovated buildings.
The project covers two main parts of the island, each with its own architectural peculiarities: on the eastern area of the island, the interior spaces inside the buildings which underwent renovation in 2000 will be re-arranged while maintaining the existing structure; on the western area, on the other hand, there are heterogeneous buildings that require interventions of consolidation and major structural works.
Photo credits: Matteo Thun & Partners