Founded in 1922 under the name of Museo Civico di Storia Naturale [Civic Natural History Museum], the Museum covers almost any aspect of the region’s natural environment (mineralogy, petrography, paleo-ethnology, zoology, ornithology, entomology, botany, herpetology and ichthyology).
The building, whose profile reminds of the surrounding mountains, is made up of various volumes and spaces. Inside, visitor routes take visitors from the fourth floor above ground to the second floor underground.
The futuristic structure features automated systems harnessing solar and geothermal energy through photovoltaic cells, solar panels and downhole heat exchangers. Rainwater tanks, underfloor heating and automated skylights enable to save water and reduce energy consumption, and allow natural light and ventilation inside the building.
Locally available materials, such as Verdello stone – a white-greenish type of marble – as well as renewable materials, such as bamboo – covering the floors of the exhibition areas – and timber – employed for the structures – were chosen when constructing the buildings.
The project was designed in collaboration with the Distretto Tecnologico Trentino.
Photo credits: Enrico Cano, Alessandro Gadotti, Stefano Goldberg